It’s crucial to remember that every horse is unique in its own way. Variations in conformation may be seen within a single breed as well as across breeds. As a result, while selecting a saddle, you must take your horse’s shape into mind.
The best person to advise you on what will and will not work in terms of saddles for a Thoroughbred is a competent saddle fitter in your area who will analyze your horse and provide you with recommendations.
This article, on the other hand, should assist you in better understanding why it is so critical to choose the proper saddle for your Thoroughbred. When we say ‘saddles for Thoroughbreds’ we are talking about something really broad and comprehensive.
The majority of traditional horse saddles are incapable of allowing thoroughbred horses to attain their maximum potential.
These racehorses have unique builds that don’t often fit regular saddles well, which may make it unpleasant for a rider to sit on them for lengthy periods of time at a time. Because these horses have high withers, it’s critical to pick a saddle that will properly cradle the horse’s back.
Table of Contents
The first thing to consider is saddle type, since each rider requires a unique saddle design for Dressage and jumping, accordingly.
Horses with high withers should be saddled in English or finest western saddles, which are suited for riding along the route. In addition, you may choose an Australian saddle type, which is available in two variations: with horns and without horns.
It’s also important to note that the Australian saddle is excellent for endurance riding.
The majority of the time, high-quality saddle material is made of synthetic or leather. The previous saddle had been made of nylon material and had been painted in bright colors.
The latest innovation is the saddle, which may be made of synthetic, leather, or suede material. That synthetic cloth is lightweight and simple to clean is a pleasant thought.
The health and happiness of your horse are directly related to the fit of his saddle. In exchange, your horse will be allowed to move freely and do the maneuvers you want him/her to do, whether it’s dressage, jumping, or just riding out on a quiet hack.
A poorly behaved or underperforming horse is often the consequence of a saddle that is not properly fitted. Saddles that are not properly fitted limit your horse’s mobility and may cause significant short and long term discomfort and injury.
It is only via aggressive behavior that your horse may communicate that their saddle does not fit properly, such as rearing, bucking, rushing and stamping their feet, refusing to go forward and so on.
When horses misbehave, they are often disciplined as a result. As you might understand, for a horse, this is a terrible loop to be caught in. As a result, regular che is recommended.
Models that may work on your Thoroughbred
1. Wintec Western All-rounder Saddle FQHB
Wintec Western All-rounder Saddle FQHB which can be found on Horse Saddle Shop is light-weight, designed of Equileather, a synthetic alternative to leather that looks and feels like real leather.
Proves easier to clean than real leather, no more wasted cleaning supplies.
Just wipe clean with a damp cloth and hit the trail.
- Tree: Full QH bars
- Seat Size: 14” to 17” – Traditional Western sizing
- Seat: Extra foam padded seat
- Color: Black or Brown
- Conchos: Stainless Steel
- Riggings: 7/8 Position
- Swell Width: 12½”
- Cantle: 3½”
- Horn Size: 3″ neck, 2″ top
- Skirt Size: 28″ L x 14″ D
- Weight: 21 lb
- Fender lengths vary with seat size
2. Wintec Isabell Dressage HART
It will be straightforward to communicate with your horse thanks to Isabell’s high-performance saddle design which you can get on the Horse Saddle Shop, which allows their leg to effortlessly establish a natural groove for seamless touch.
Your horse will appreciate the super-soft panels that adapt to and around their muscles, caressing their particular conformation and allowing for unrivaled freedom of movement during dressage training and competition. The panels are machine washable and dryable.
- Protective cushioning through the CAIR® Cushion Panel System. It uses air to distribute the rider’s weight fluidly across the horse’s back.
- Precision custom fit with the EASY-CHANGE™ Fit Solution
- Ergonomic flex through the lightweight and durable Elastiflex Tree, which provides the lateral flexion to work with the horse’s muscular movement in every stride.
- Free movement supported by Performance Panel Technology
- Superior rider performance aided by Comfort Seat Technology. The seat gently supports the rider’s ability to move with the horse.
- Ergonomic Stirrup Bar
- Adjustable Flexibloc System
- Quick-change billet system
- Adjustable Y-girthing
3. Dakota Gaited Equi-Fit Trail Saddle
The Horse Saddle Shop offers this stunning Dakota saddle which is the ideal companion for your gaited horse. With its Equi-Fit tree, it will provide your horse with the mobility it needs to maintain its natural gait.
After receiving a lot of positive feedback, this trail model is now available with barrel-style skirts, making it suitable for all horses, especially those with shorter backs.
A black perforated grainout seat is used, and the leather is in their famous pro brown hue with hourglass border tooling on the sides.
- Tree: Equi-Fit Gaited Tree
- Seat Size: 15″, 16″ or 17″, perforated grainout
- Cantle: 4″
- Horn: 3 1/4” high 2 1/2” cap
- Skirts: 25″ Long
- Rigging: Stainless steel in-skirt
- Stirrups Leathers: Leather laced bell stirrups
- Tooling: Basket/Floral Tooling
- Color: Pro brown (other colors available, contact us for availability)
- Weight: Approximately 30 lbs w/ rear flank strap
Customer reviews, product quality, popularity, and a decent pricing are all taken into consideration when selecting which items to include in this article.
A well fitted saddle may improve your horse riding, while an incorrectly fitted saddle can completely impair your horseback riding. So, be aware of the items that are required in order to get the finest thoroughbred horse saddle.